Re: Little Cornard

Ron,
This is what the New Grove Dictionary of Music and Musicians has to
say about him:

Shaw, Martin Fallas (b. London 9 March 1875; d. Southwold 24 Oct
1958). English composer, brother of Geoffrey Shaw. Studied at the
Royal College of Music, where he was a pupil of Stanford for
composition. After a number of years' varied but unremunerative work
associated with Gordon Craig and Isadora Duncan in connection with
the stage both in England and Germany he became organist of St.
Mary', Primrose Hill (1908-20), and St. Martin-in-the-Fields
(1920-24). His interest in specifically was early marked by his
goundation of the Purcell Operatic Society and its production of Dido
and Aeneas in 1900. He had a lifelong concern to turn the vocal music
by which the community expressed itself, whether in school, church,
or on national occasions, into healthier channels than he found it,
bringing to bear thereupon the influences of folksong and plainsong.
In this, his numerous editions played an influential part. His
autobiography agreeably reveals his characteristic standpoint.
As a composer he mainly cultivated stage music and choral music, as
well as solo songs and church music. Though with few exceptions his
prolific output of songs leaves the impression of good taste without
strong character, they were welcomed by fastidious singers of their
day. The Song of the Palanquin Bearers (comp.1898, publ. 1917) is
however outstandingly successful in the evocation of its subject, and
one or two songs (for example his setting of Masefield's Cargoes,
1924) played an honourable role as unison songs for schools. His more
orthodox church music (for example the anthem Jesu, the very thought
is sweet, 1933) is always lyrical and well contrived, but his most
characteristically influential pieces were for congregational use,
and in this connection his hymn tunes "Little Cornard" and "Marching"
must be named.
Shaw received the Lambeth degree of DMus in 1932, was appointed OBE
in 1955 and made a Fellow of the RCM in 1958.

Hope this is helpful - if I manage to find anything out about Little
Cornard in particular I shall let you know - it's a fantastic tune if
nothing else!!!
Dave