Re: Radio 3

Adrian,
You have nailed it down. We here in Canada are being forced to have Canadian
content rammed down our throat (by our politicians). In this way we are becoming
very narrow in that all the excellent concerts and recordings by many of the
European orchestras and choirs are becoming very difficult to hear.
Similarly, the 'good hours' that is in the evening and on the weekends are now
being switched over to Heavy Metal Rock, New Age music, some fellow in some
remote studio who expounds on the merits of 'Canadian(ism)' but is hardly wet
behind the ears.
We are being subjected to forced music and non music at the popular times. The
classical programmes are primarily during the daytime hours when one is at work,
and of course it is not know aforehand when a good programme is going to be
aired.
Some of 'my fellow Canadians' (sounds like John Diefenbaker) have lamented
earlier about the scarcity of Brass Band Music. It is also disconcerting to know
that our famous Radio and T V system, that is supported by us the tax payer, will
not air religious content. (It was reported in the National Post this past
weekend that an advertising campaign by Christian Churches would not be able to
advertise on CBC because they were Christian and zeroed in on Christianity.)
I only use this analogy to show how narrow minded and unfocused and biased our
national broadcasting system has become. We, as Canadians, are also too quiet
about things and take it laying down.
There are some excellent Canadian orchestras and bands, but there are also some
other orchestras and bands in the world.
We are fortunate if we hear one brass band piece a month, and I can probably say
that it does not even average that much.
It is restricted to Hannaford St Silver Band, and occasionally the Black Dyke or
Williams Fairey with some recording that was done last decade. Hannaford records
on the CBC label and thus they are more current. But there are many, plenty,
other brass bands even in Canada.
The less exposure we have, the quicker our movement will die, if it has not
already died ( in the country).
That is, IMHO, a tragedy. It is nothing to spend big bucks on a pro athlete, a
basketball player in Vancouver just signed a multi year (6 year I believe)
contract for close to $70 Million. Bands at schools, in communities, can hardly
raise $70.00 off an event to raise some funds for music, instruments or whatever.

Our priorities are completly turned upside down!
Larry White