Re: Lost Horn and the wider issues

I pay subs too ("one of your english pounds a week").  So do my son and
daughter.  We all have our own instruments because we choose to and are
fortunate enough to be able to afford them <just>.  This attitude that
"the band owes me a hobby because Im good/kind/whatever enough to play
for it" is part of our national brass-bander's affliction, IMO.  I am of
course truly sorry that Heidi lost her instrument but I think the major
failing of her band to her was not in expecting it to be replaced, but
in not spelling out the risks BEFOREHAND that were to be borne by the
band and the risks to be borne by the player before the incident
occurred.

If the responsibilities are spelt out fully, a player can decide whether
they want to play for the band and want to insure the band's instrument
or want to buy their own.  Or play for another band that is more
lenient/forgiving/rich/ignorant.

Melbourne Town Band does have "insurance" but does not currently have a
clear policy - for no reason other than we have not hitherto thought
about it - and courtesy of Heidi's unfortunate experience (again Heidi,
I am very sorry for your loss and think we should cut thieves' hands
off), I hope to ensure we get one (a policy that is, not a thief).

Steve Larwood
Euphonium, Melbourne Town Band
http://www.proactif.co.uk/mtb.htm