Communication?

Dear all

In the light of some apparent misunderstandings in recent times, I thought
this might prove to be a useful reminder of the ways in which we interpret
the world.

[Teacher mode ON]

This week there was an article in the Times. Now I realise that some would
not use the Times to wrap their fish and chips in but it does have it's
uses.

The article said that communication consists of 55% body language, 33% of
tone of voice, and 7% of words.

We are communicating using email which means we are using 100% words. There
can be no smile, shrug of the shoulders, or sly nudge, nudge, wink, wink
when we write something.
Suddenly, 93% of our communications media are unavailable.
Somebody, somewhere, could take offence at what we say. Hence the use of
smilies, etc.

This is a damn good list, spoiled on occasion by the odd snide remark in
response to a posting which could be interpreted in different ways.  Shame,
isn't it?

One of the elements which keeps this list interesting is the tongue-in-cheek
humour which abounds (especially from [ex-pat?] trombonists 8-) ).  Long may
it reign!

[Teacher mode OFF]

Cheers

Steve