Grimethorpe in Adelaide

Hi all,

We went a fabulous concert - at least to us, by Grimethorpe last night.
Their only Adelaide concert, spoilt by putting them in a non-airconditioned
theatre in the middle of an Australian summer. It was a hot day here
yesterday 35C - we have had over 40C several days this summer. Thebarton
Theatre was jam-packed, 2000+ people, and it quickly became like a sauna.

I don't know whose decision the venue was - although talking afterwards
Adelaide does not have much else between the huge (and expensive) Festival
Theatre or Entertainment Centre and a range of nice 500-1,000 seat halls.

The players wore jackets, ties, and dress shirts for the 1st half, and were
really suffering from the heat. They came out for the 2nd half in short
sleeved shirts, no ties, and no jackets - much more atuned to the conditions
- and still looking smart.  By the end of the tour they will also be used to
taking on a water bottle, which is fairly common here, particularly in the
warmer weather. Several players had to have water brought out to them
quickly last night.

One small thing that caught my attention was the banter going on between the
Eupho and the lead Cornet players (sorry haven't got my programme handy for
the names) - in the breaks of the Eupho solo, Napoli. Shows how confident
they are of the material, that they can risk breaking concentration in the
middle of a piece like that.

The Band certainly had a very appreciative and over-full house last night.
Hopefully the rest of the tour will be as successful, and they will get some
better weather. They move on to Melbourne today (I think) therefore getting
at least another day of the heat. It will cool down here later today, but
the change won't get to Melbourne for about another day.

Regards,  Gillian
Gillian Laughton,
Secretary & 1st Baritone
Para Hills Brass Band