Lost Horn

Steve Larwood wrote with regards to Lost Horn:

I pay subs too ("one of your english pounds a week").  So do my son and
daughter.  We all have our own instruments because we choose to and are
fortunate enough to be able to afford them <just>.  This attitude that
"the band owes me a hobby because Im good/kind/whatever enough to play
for it" is part of our national brass-bander's affliction, IMO.

Just a quick reply - I have owned a cornet from the age of 11, but now I
play Eb Bass.  I have also played Sop, Flugel and Tenor Horn, I cannot
afford to go out a buy a new instrument every time I'm need on a different
section.  After all, you won't buy something worth quite a lot of money and
not insure it.  Paying subs to the band should take all this into
consideration and be able to cover the cost of the off the running of the
band (Fund raising also come into it).  If you have your own instrument you
would insure it,  it's the band instrument they should insure it.

Cheers

Paul Williams
(A Welshman living in England)