Adjudicating - the system

Dave,

this is surely not a daft question. We're all sometimes asking ourself how those
people adjudicate. As with being seperated ot not, blinded or not, points or
places,... organisers sometimes oblige adjudicators to give seperate marks for
technique, sound, musicality, ... and so a bit more structured way
Does an adjudicator automatically do this to give one mark overall based on such
parameters (with some kind of a formula e.g.) or how should he decide.
Would it be just an impression, hopefully based on a lot of experience and
musical knowledge?

Sometimes then we get the most unexpected results as we all know Geoffrey Brand
brought some strange results the last couple of years (e.g. the Masters,
Spennymoor, also our Belgian nationals).
Also, from their remarks you're not capable either to decide why one gives 82
and not 96, because all they say is "you did a  fine job". This shows of course
writing down remarks is not a good medium, and probably a microphone system
(which has been used several times) might be better.

However, indeed, how does an adjudicator rate?
We should challenge them to explain why they give x points and not just accept
it. If not, they should be more clear in their remarks.
If not, we can't learn from their adjudication. If so, why do we need them?

Edy

>>> oui <mavnw@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> 02/24/99 09:28pm >>>
Can anyone offer me any advice on what Nick Childs looks for as an
adjudicator?(Bob, perhaps?) He's doing our section at the areas in a
couple of weeks. I know this may sound like a bit of a daft question, but
there's a whole world of difference between someone like Roy Newsome, who
we always seem to score highly with, and some of the more
technically-obsessed adjudicators(who we don't with-'nuff said)

thanks,
Dave Taylor
University of Warwick brass band
Rolls-Royce(Coventry) band