Re: Welsh Regionals

-----Original Message-----
From: Brian Easterbrook <brian@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: brass-band list <brass-band@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 25 February 1999 07:58
Subject: Welsh Regionals
>Hi all,
>
>Rumours abound that .......BTM have failed to meet the entry deadline
>for the Welsh Regionals and will, therefore, not be competing - is this
>true?
>
>Another rumour claims that .......because they failed to compete in the
>required number of Welsh contests in 1998 they have been relegated to
>the 1st section - is this true?

Hi Sam

I have not heard about BTM and the Areas but looking at the list of
competitors they are not listed - so it would appear that they are not
competing.

The relegation to 1st section as I understand it applies only to the Welsh
Association contests, much like the Wessex system, and is not a National
relegation. The system takes some understanding and I am still not sure that
I have the facts fully correct. I am sure that I will be corrected.
There are 4 contests, Ebbw Vale, Ammanford, Porth and Treorchy and the
Welsh Bands are graded locally on the results in these contests. If you
don't
compete you are placed last as if you had withdrawn. Cory played in 3 of the
4 winning at Ebbw Vale and Treorchy, 3rd at Porth and did not enter
Ammanford as it was right next to the Open.

Tredegar, who played in them all coming 2nd in two and first in 2 were
declared Champion Band of Wales as opposed to Welsh Champions - which Cory
won at the Area. I don't know how many BTM played in but presumably their
points total was the highest - thus relegation.

The two systems used to be interlinked with the Area contributing towards
the
overall title, but not any more although there is a constant debate about
re-introducing the system. The Welsh Area also gives eligibility to the
winning band to compete in the Europeans, as is the case in Scotland.

You also seem to be one of the   merchants by the way, as you will see
from the quote.

Regards

Jeremy