Re: Adjudicating - the system

EVanAsch@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< However, indeed, how does an adjudicator rate? >>
This, in my view is a very good question. In all sports and many other
disciplines the referees/judges are themselves watched, yet we seem to have no
system, certainly in the UK, of assessing our adjudicators. We continue to use
adjudicators whose results appear perverse when compared to others (Cambridge
Masters, Belgian Nationals are recent examples). Surely, when so many people
put so much effort and money into contests, we should be confident  that the
movement's administrators are ensuring that the judges are up to scratch.
On the separate point originally raised by the conductor of the Warwick Uni.
band, surely it is better to concentrate on your own band's perfomance rather
than on the personal tastes of a particular 'man in the box'. Many of us will
have been at contests where one week you 'get the nod' from a particular
adjudicator but the following contest we don't find favour with the same
person.
The Midland Area (the venue itself adds to the lottery) involves many bands in
each section  and inevitably involves an element of luck. If the Warwick band
come off knowing you performed what is a potentially very tricky test piece to
the best of your ability you won't be far away at the end of the day.

M J Pattinson
Bedrock Brass
2nd Section
Midlands Area
Hoping we find favour with Goff Richards (like we did at Rhyl)