Re: European test piece

Jonathan Miller (Hi!) wrote,
My main query is why a
> piece which is already written and available, has been subsequently amended
> and lengthened as a test piece. In effect, to copies of the same piece by
> the same composer will be available but one about 2/3 minutes longer than
> the original, with new scoring.

How much has been added/changed then? From what I've read I take it that It's
more than just adding a 3rd cornet line.

IMO, I think that Odyssey is a good piece of music to listen to, although I've
never played it so couldn't talk about the technical details from that point of
view. It does take more than one listening to get into it, but this is true with
most music. Tom S mentioned that in technical terms Odyssey is equivelant
(sp?) to Isiah 40 and On Alderly Edge. These are however, good pieces to
listen to as well as good tests of a band. Could this be linked by the fact that
all three composers have such big SA backgrounds, where the 'bigger' pieces
are not written for contest purposes, but challenge the band, yes, but at all
levels and to entertain an audience.
These are just some of my random thoughts.Hope I haven't tied myself into too
many knots!

Regards,

Edd
Birmingham Citadel
Salvation Army

PS- Anyway, I hear there are two different versions with the ISB and NYSB of
this piece. True, or has my gullibility been taken on again!! Tom or Jonathan?!: )