Re: European test piece -Reply

Tom,

when I say Odyssey is not technically challenging I rely to pieces like
Revelation, Masquerade, some like Montague,... and others which are far more
TECHNICALLY demanding then Odyssey. These pieces are the ones bands tend to
prefer nowadays (not me personally).

I agree demanding does not mean just technically demanding. Many bands find
difficulties in playing a choral.
I also refer to Steve Sykes' mail about Kenilworth which may seem easy but is
not.
Yes, Isaiah and On Alderley Edge are not easy either certainly not their
interpretation. Bands play e.g. On Alderley Edge without even knowing about the
myth behind the piece (the wizard touching the stone at the start of the piece,
the steamengine in the mine,...) and play just the notes.
I do not say we have to read fairytales to play well, but it certainly can help
putting the mindset right. But then of course the adjudicators have to know the
story also, ... Well, let's not continue about that.

I agree bands should listen to ISB's recording, at least for their sound and I
am quite sure all would find difficulties to beat ISB if they would contend too.

Thanks for replying.
Regards.
Edy