Re: European test piece -Reply

Edward

 Apart from including a Rep part and 3rd Cornet, some of the other scoring
has been changed with certain sections extended to probably lenghten the
piece to about 16 minutes rather than 12 at the moment.

I would have to agree with Jeremy on this that apart from the cornet solo in
the middle, everybody else gets away extremely lightly for a test piece, but
IMHO I feel it would have changed the piece too much by including lot's of
cadenzas for the corner seat's just to make the piece harder!

Initially the piece wasn't intended for contest's and therefore written for
the intention of a different level of banding. We had a chance in the last
practice of 1998 to play Martin Ellerby's test piece for the Cambridge
Master's Tristan encounters (I think!), and first practice this year the
amended Odyssey and purely from a technical point of view, Tristan made
challenges that we really haven't seen in SA music.

JONATHAN MILLER