Re: Scandal

Hi Paul

I'm pleased as my best mate John Hinckley conducts Carlton Main. They did
play very well and, from the discussions which I had with John, he won the
contest through thinking about the adjudicator and piece. It is easy to
research Bram Gays opinion through old write ups in the BB press. A pattern
emerged that he always wanted a steady tempo, solid soloists and nothing too
extreme. This combined with the draw played right into Carlton Mains' hands
and Bram Gay was true to form - he went for the 'Steady Eddy' performance.
It really proves the point of the recent argument about whether to cut your
cloth to suit.

In terms of the other bands, Matt Baker was far and away the best cornet
player on the day, quite stunning playing, beautiful sound, shape and style.
Ian Porthouse had a bad day which unsettled the band, which was a shame as
he is a genuinely nice bloke. I heard that he had had a car accident the day
before - this could easily explain it.  As for Dyke's placing, I can only
assume that it was the tempo from 18 on which precluded aganst them - it was
a bit swift, well very swift actually. Some of the other places were  not in
accordance with the majority in the hall - but we've had this conversation
before.

Jeremy