Re: yorkshire area

     I heard B&R, Dyke, YBS, Todmorden, Rothwell, Sellers & Carlton Main.

     Whilst wishing John Hinckley and Carlton Main good luck in London, I
     cannot say that they played the best performance of the bands I heard.

     Dyke were by far the best band I heard on the day and this was echoed
     by a number of people I spoke to.  YBS played a good performance but
     the music stopped in the slow part, the music was too slow and
     detracted from the performance as a whole.  B&R split too many notes
     for my liking but it also had some good points.

     Rothwell played very well but it seemed to be a bit too fast for them.
     Sellers performance was very comfortable with the soloist playing well
     above stated dynamics.  There wasn't much contrast between quiet and
     loud passages.

     Carlton Main I thought may sneak a place if YBS and B&R had come in
     the top two.  The performance was good apart from the wrong entry in
     the third bar by one of the players.  The soloist all played well (esp
     Solo Horn) but lacked a bit of "sparkle".

     I'm not usually and Dyke fan but IMHO they were ROBBED and should have
     won the contest by a long way.  I feel that Bram Gay must have
     adjudicated on tempo markings only as he said "trying to find flaws in
     Blitz is like trying to count the number of passengers on a high speed
     train when standing on a platform at a station".

     See you all at Blackpool

     Janet Lewis
     Flugel Horn
     Besses o' th' Barn Band