Re: Adjudicating - the system

Jeremy wrote:

>...I have to confess
>  that I play to win - even if that means doing what the man in the box likes
>  rather than keep my own integrity intact. Contests are sport and the players
>  in the band go to win. My job as conductor is to put the band in the best
>  possible position to win.

I agree, and am surprised that you adopt a slightly apologetic tone!
It's quite interesting to apply (what you understand as ) someone
else's ideas onto your own interpretation of a piece - it can often
enhance a performance.   Maybe I lack a 'musical integrity' but I
can't convince myself that there is such a thing as a 'correct'
interpretation, or an 'incorrect' one or even my all-time preferred
one - only different ones within the parameters outlined by the
composer - so contests are always going to be something of a
wonderful lottery especially if we ask such eccentrics as Mr Brand
and Mr Gay to judge them!  By sheer coincidence I've just read Roger
Sessions' book 'The Musical Experience of Composer, Performer,
Listener' in which he writes:

...the idea of the composer is not fully expressed in any single
performance, actual or conceivable, but rather in the sum of all
possible performances.  But having admitted this, we are bound to
insist also that the number of possible performances is limited by
the composer's text and by the musical intentions which that text
embodies...

mmm...

David

PS Does anyone know anything about Nigel Boddice's likes and
dislikes???!!!