RE: yorkshire area

On Tuesday, March 02, 1999 12:17 PM, Janet Lewis
[SMTP:Janet.Lewis@xxxxxxxxx] wrote:
>      I heard B&R, Dyke, YBS, Todmorden, Rothwell, Sellers & Carlton Main.
>

>      I'm not usually and Dyke fan but IMHO they were ROBBED and should
have
>      won the contest by a long way.  I feel that Bram Gay must have
>      adjudicated on tempo markings only as he said "trying to find flaws
in
>      Blitz is like trying to count the number of passengers on a high
speed
>      train when standing on a platform at a station".

I have to say that if Bram Gay really said that and genuinely means it then
IMHO he should be struck off the adjudicators panel immediately!  It really
is a pathetic admission by a so-called top adjudicator on a piece which I
and a large number of admittedly 'armchair adjudicators' found VERY easy to
judge at the Scottish Championships.  OK, once the fast stuff starts the
tempo remains pretty constant to the end but throughout there is tons of
stuff going on and criticise.

It brings to mind a couple of other classic BG quotes:

"I found it very difficult to judge this piece - there's so little music in
there."
Scottish Championships 1995, Un Vie de Matelot

"I decided they'd won the contest after the first 8 bars"
British Open 1996, Severn Suite, Marple

(note, I'm not suggesting Marple shouldn't have won - merely that it is a
pathetic approach to adjudicating)

Gordon, not BG's biggest fan, Simpson