Re: yorkshire area

Gordon Simpson wrote:

> I have to say that if Bram Gay really said that and genuinely means it then
> IMHO he should be struck off the adjudicators panel immediately!
>
> It brings to mind a couple of other classic BG quotes:............

I can add to that. Let's go back to the Open when Salamander was the etst in
1994. IMHO a shocking piece of music. Alan Wycherley and myself decided to take
on the big wigs and see if there was any way we could get the piece changed.
When I spoke to Bob Mulholland at the BandWorld, he suggested I contact one of
the 'main men' - Bram Gay. I rang Mr Gay to explain the situation and pointed
out that a number of bandsmen had expressed the same view and they weren't
enjoying rehearsing the piece.

Mr Gay's response to me was that if I didn't like it, I should quit playing and
get my band to withdraw from the contest. What a positive thing to say eh?

BTW - we won - Mr gay was judging and was nowhere to be seen after the result
was declared!

(Still didn't change my opinion of the piece though!)

A few years prior to that (maybe 88ish??) I wrote a letter to the Bandworld
expressing disappointment at the open result......Dyke were nowhere and IMHO
and many others, they should have won. Mr Gay was adjudicating that day and his
reply to me (as published in the Bandworld) was that if I thought contesting
was more about sport rather than music, I should take up darts or snooker!

> Gordon finished by saying.................., not BG's biggest fan,

Well I'm not either!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The bloke's an a***hole and I make no apologies for saying that.

Monkey