Re: compare and contrast

judith.hayes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< One further question, which I know has been debated at length, but which I
 feel must be asked again: is East Midlands Conference Centre really the best
 we can do for our Midlands bands? >>
The EMCC is an abysmal venue for a major contest (the Area contest being the
most important contest of the year for most British bands). The halls are
acoustically inferior and the adjudicator's boxes inappropriately placed off
centre at the back of the halls . The tent used for bar/cafe is substandard,
and the warm-up/registration facilities not acceptable. The campus is some way
outside Nottingham and therefore extra cost (taxi or bus) has to be incurred
if players' partners wish to go shopping/to eat in restaurants/see the sights
of the city. The immediate area, furthermore is virtually a pub-free zone.
Despite the fact that we were drawn first in the 3rd section on Saturday which
started before the other section playing through the day (1st), we were not
allowed to warm up in the registration rooms by one of the stewards despite
the fact that no one was performing in either hall.
In the Midlands region covered by this contest there must be dozens of towns
and cities with superior facilities. The road system, furthermore, means that
the choice of one of a number of those towns and cities would make little
difference in travelling time for the bands.
Despite discussing this issue with a number of the Midlands Committee members
over the years, I am yet to hear a well reasoned argumen in favour of this
facility.
Whilst I appreciate that we ex "South Midlands and East Anglia" bands have to
doff our cap in the direction of the old "North Midlands" area committee and
thank them profusely and continuously for letting us play in their contest
when our Area was disbanded some years ago, surely we have now served our
probation. The excellent facilities available in Birmingham would mean some of
the bands having a slightly longer journey but surely it is a price worth
paying for a far better quality contest.

Martyn Pattinson
Bedworth Brass (1st last year but 15th this, but that's contesting)