Besson Versus Bach

Dear List,

I am in the process of purchasing a new Bb Cornet and have been somewhat
appalled by the quality of the new Besson BE series. During the last week, I
have had the pleasure of playing two new Besson Sovereigns sent on approval
both of which had some very obvious defects. The first Besson had defects to
all three valves and casing, 1st Valve could only be taken out in one
direction, if turned, the valve guide caught and the valve could not be
removed. 2nd Valve casing was cross threaded and on the 3rd Valve there was a
sharp gauge around the screw thread. I personally experienced problems
producing a powerful top Ab, played at pp - mf sounded reasonable but still
did not produce a true round note. Needless to say, the instrument was in the
post back to the supplier the very next day.

The second Sovereign arrived in far better condition, there was no obvious
signs of any defects however I still had the problem with the top Ab. Other
notes above this were clear and precise and the top C' and D were very easy to
produce and sustain at any volume, has anyone else experienced problems with
the top Ab.  I also found the valves very spongy and not a patch on the Bach
Strad Valves.

I have played on Getzen's and Vincent Bach Strads for many years but find they
produce a much brighter trumpet sound than the Sovereigns. Our Band purchased
4 new Vincent Bach Strads in the early 1990's, the main problems experienced
have been water retention and very sharp F's top line.

Perhaps list members would give me their views and may be able to suggest any
alternatives. I know what suits one player may not suit another but if you are
aware that there is a problem with the recent batch of Besson cornets or have
tried any other makes on the market today, I would be curious and appreciate
your comments.

I am particularly keen to find out your views on the Smith-Watkins and the
Courtois Cornets as I have not had the pleasure of playing on either.

Please feel free to email me direct.

Regards
Bridgette Goold
brassedoff@xxxxxxx