Re: compare and contrast

Judith Hayes wrote:

> 3 simple questions:
>
> 1 - what is the difference between a piano and a harpsichord?
A. About 10 quid an hour.

> 2 - what is the difference between a euphonium and a baritone?
A. Baritone players' eyes are usually too close together.

> 3 - what is the difference between a 36" bass drum on a stand and the
> biggest drum (operated by a pedal and used within a drum kit, which
> happens to make a quite deep noise somewhere in  the lower register)
> in the regional qualifying contest at Nottingham?
A. The "kit" bass drum doesn't have the resonance and "rumble" of a
concert bass drum played with the correct mallets. And don't try to get
away with using one of those horrible marching bass drums that many
bands insist on believing is suitable. There really is no substitute for
a <good> concert bass drum.

> One further question, which I know has been debated at length, but
> which I feel must be asked again: is East Midlands Conference Centre
> really the best we can do for our Midlands bands?

No. how about.....
1. Warwick University Arts Centre
2. Birmingham Town Hall
3. Coventry Central Hall
4. De Montfort Hall, Leicester
5. Assembly Rooms, Derby
6. Dudley Town Hall
7. Adrian Boult Hall, Birmingham Conservatoire
8. Royal Leamington Spa Town Hall
9. Royal Spa Centre, Leamington Spa
10. Symphony Hall, Birmingham (of course)

plus (probably) a whole load of others I have forgotten about.

Cheers, have a happy day!

Adrian
ex. Midlands bandie.