RE: Besson Versus Bach

Bridgette Goold wrote......

> During the last week, I
> have had the pleasure of playing two new Besson Sovereigns
> sent on approval both of which had some very obvious defects.

> I personally experienced problems producing a powerful top Ab,
> played at pp - mf sounded reasonable but still
> did not produce a true round note. Needless to say, the
> instrument was in the post back to the supplier the very next day.

I played a new Sovereign last year and not only had problems with
sluggish values and a tuning slide that was so loose I had to make sure
that I wasn't playing too flat every now and then. I also had real
problems producing a true top A. Having changed instruments to an older
sovereign in the middle of last year, I am far happier with the result.

A band that I used to play with bought a load of new sovereigns (not
only cornets but horns, baris, Euphs, basses etc) and most have had
problems that required them to be returned.

Does anyone have any opinions on the Yamaha Maestro cornets?

Regards

Alistair