Re: New Jersey Brass Band Day

On Mar 7, 10:36pm, scheibs wrote:

> I didn't get to make it to his clinic, but I have been told that
Mr.
> Breuninger told many interesting stories about the conductors that
> he liked and disliked while playing with the Philadelphia
Orchestra.
> In particular, Muti was disliked by the brass players because he
> made them blow their brains out, or something to that effect.  Is
> this an accurate accessment, or can you enlighten me as to what
> happened.

Hi, Tom-

Good to see you on Saturday.

Tyrone was, umm, surprisingly candid in his views about the
changes in orchestral playing over the years.  With regard to
Muti, he implied more than just what you mentioned above;
he said, and I'm paraphrasing but perhaps not that far, that
Muti tended to rule with an iron fist; that he allowed for
no individual expression; and that in doing so, he completely
removed emotion and musicality.

For context, this was all said in response to a question from
the audience about the general change in orchestral sound over
the last 30 years.  Tyrone was asked how he felt about the
current "generic" orchestral sound as compared to the past (e.g.
Ormandy era), where orchestras tended to have a less powerful,
more stylized and more individually identifyable sound.

Regards,

Dan Masi