Re: New Jersey Brass Band Day

In a message dated 3/8/99 10:35:44 AM Pacific Standard Time,
scheibs@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>  In particular,
>  Muti was disliked by the brass players because he made them blow their
>  brains out, or something to that effect.  Is this an accurate accessment,
or
>  can you enlighten me as to what happened.
Ir was in response to a question about the "Philadelphia sound". Tyrone opined
that there is now a generic orchestral sound, and in the area of brass,
equipment is now constructed to produce it, primarily with the idea of playing
loud. He taught that Ormandy had a concept, but that Muti tended toward a
sterile approach. In conversation with him, he has said that Muti did clean up
many sloppy habits, but that something was lost along the way. he and other
members do seem to like Sawallisch a great deal. Bob Harper, bass trombonists,
was active in the band before he passed away, and he held much the same view
in regard to instruments being pushed into inappropriate roles and sounds. He
only ever played with one trigger. The approach was a roundness and beauty to
complement the dark string sound.