Midland 3rd section results

On Mon, 8 Mar 1999, Richards ,Mr Alistair wrote:

> All,
>
> Does anyone know the full results for the Championship and Third
> section from yesterday's area contest? (I know it's a strange
> combination!)

3rd section:-

Pos. Band		    Draw     Points

1st ????		      1	185
2nd Chapel-en-la-Frith	10       184
3rd Stourport-on-Severn       17       183
4th University of Warwick     12       181
5th Shipston Town	     11       180

adjudicator:- Nick Childs

I know it sounds bizarre, but I didn't actually catch the name of the
winning band. As soon as the draw number was announced, a huge cheer went
up, completely drowning it out. I may also have the points slightly wrong,
but the differences between them are right.
Main Street made a challenging piece for the section, with a wide
variation in standards throughout. I heard the last 6 bands,
and very few of them came anywhere near conquering it, with particularly
tuning and sostenuto problems being highlighted. Also some bands took the
march section rather too fast for their own comfort, with various erratic
changes of tempo spoiling the whole piece. Overall, the bands I heard
seemed evenly split between a molto rubato approach, with excess rittage
and accelage, and a rather staid strict interpretation, both of which have
obvious faults.
Oh well. Try again next year.

Dave Taylor
Uni of Warwick band