Percussion at Midlands

On Sun, 7 Mar 1999, Marc Robbins wrote:

> Surely it was the same for everyone.
> If percussion is provided for all, everyone suffers equally.

Unfortunately it was not the same for everyone. I think that is the main
complaint of the first few bands. We played no.4 with only two
percussionists and like Foss Dyke (who played no.3) were not allowed to
take our kit bass drum on stage.

This was a little unsettling as we were only told about 3 minutes before
going on stage. I don't think it affected our result - we thought we
played well even although we were disappointed to finish tenth.

The rules didn't really seem to make it clear that you couldn't take this
piece of kit on stage. Provided the same rules were applied to every band
then fair enough, one can have no real complaint. But as Cathy said, after
the first 5 or so bands the rules seemed to change and the remaining bands
were allowed to take their bass drum on stage.

Whether we agree with the rules or not is not the key issue here, in my
opinion. It is the fact that they have not been consistently applied to
every band in the same section.

Anyway, congratulations to the top two bands in the Midlands First Section
- Kibworth and Riddings. I think the conductor of Riddings - John Davis -
is on this list. Well done John and the rest of your band. Unfortunately I
didn't get to hear you as you were drawn one after us but I heard Kibworth
and thought they played really well.

Cheers
Stuart Gadsden
Publicity Officer