Re: compare and contrast - whoosh!

I'm sure you'll all shoot me down in flames if it is me that has
misinterpreted the meaning of Judith's original posting, but I get the
impression that the ironic point being made has gone 'whoosh' over the heads
of a few list members!

If I understand it correctly, some bands were not allowed to use their own
percussion, necessary due to the number of players they had and the scoring
of the music. However, later in the section other bands WERE allowed to use
their own equipment, giving them an unfair advantage IMHO.

If the organisers had insisted on being pedantic then they should have
applied the same rules to all the bands. Of course, they should probably
have identified the problem by asking the bands what they wanted well in
advance of the day, or specified what would be available, and then at least
all the entrants would have known what to expect and rehearse accordingly.

Yours,

David Deakin, Bone2, Arrow Valley Brass
(now with sticker over mugshot on registration card as a haircut and
addition of glasses has apparently made me unrecognisable!. Mind you, I'm
sure I heard our contest secretary expaining in registration that there were
26 names on the form because the band had 25 brass players and a
percussionist...)

>> Piano's have main notes white and sharps/flats black, a harpsichord is
>> the other way round with white sharps :)  It also sounds a bit more
>> "plinky" (insert appropriate musical term!) in sound.  :)
>
>"Guitarish", would be a fairly accurate description of the sound from a
>Harpsichord.  Harpsichord strings are 'plucked' like a Guitar, unlike a
Piano