Warwick Arts Centre

>  1. Warwick University Arts Centre >>
> Great minds think alike
>

> Martyn Pattinson

It seems that many people agree that our Arts centre would be perfect
for the area contest. One of the main arguements is that it is not
central enough. This may be true, but it is incredibly easy to get to
(all main roads from M1/M6 and M42 (NEC) about 10 minutes away. If
travelling is a problem, bands could take advantage of the cheap B+B
facilities provided out of term time.

For any people who don't know the facilities of the Warwick centre,
I'll give a brief description.

1) Butterworth Hall (capacity ~ 2500). Plenty of backstage area for
registration and waiting.
2) The Theatre ( capacity ~1000 I think) -again plenty of backstage
area.
3) The studio (capacity ~ 300) - good for a practice/ warm up room.
4) The ensemble room - Large room where our band practices.
5) The Conference centre (could fit a full band in at a push)
6) 7 Individual practice rooms.

Then there are the Students Union rooms (at least 4 capable of taking
a full brass band), The Chaplaincy and possibly University owned rooms
- all within 1 minute of the Arts Centre. Add to that plenty of coach
parking space and its starting to sound like an ideal contest venue.

But wait - there's more. 2 Bars in the Arts Centre, a large drinking
hall in Rootes social bulding, plent of space for trade stands, The
Student's Union bars. A large range of food outlets, pleasant scenery
(apart from all the concrete!)

The downside of all this is that the cost for the centre is quite
expensive. I have no idea how expensive the East Midlands conference
centre is but it is probably cheaper than Warwick. I assume that
estimates for this venue have been obtained in the past, but perhaps
it may be time to review the situation since year after year we are
all hearing the same complaints. It may also be a case that The
Midlands Committee have a contract with the EMCC.
Another problem is that out of term time, the centre is quite often
used for conferences. The venue would have to be booked a very long
time in advance to ensure that we have all the facilites that we
need.

In order to sell the possiblity of promoting the centre for this use,
I spoke with a few others about the possibility of organising a
smaller contest - possibly an entertainment contest. We decided not to
go ahead with it for the moment as we have absolutely no idea of the
costs involved in such a project. If I manage to get to the West
Midlands AGM, I may be able to bring this idea up.

I thinks that's probably enough information for now.

Stuart Jackson

University of Warwick Brass Band