Percussion at contests

Hopefully to put this to bed.

I have played percussion at the highest level (Fodens, Wingates, Whitburn,
CWS Glasgow) and in all instances I would advocate the use (or ability to
use, if desired) the bands own percussion.

I appreciate some bands may not have the financial resource to provide their
own equipment and therefore, especially in lower sections, the organisers of
the contest should provide suitable equipment. However, there is also a cost
involved in to the organisers of the contest - my suggestion, which is still
to be taken up by my particular area is for the Association to obtain a
lottery grant to provide percussion equipment - as well as being used for
Association contests it can also be used to help National Youth Brass Bands
or Local Youth Bands. The one problem which then needs to be overcome is
storage for the remaining 350 days of the year - ask any head of music at a
school and they will give you ample storage space as long as they could also
obtain use of the equipment. With my cynical head on does this mean,
children will get the benefit of instruments without paying for it?

Whitburn Band runs an entertainment contest each year and for the past two
years has closely monitored the playing times and more importantly for this
particular subject the time it takes for one band to leave the stage and
another to start playing. The average change over period was a little over 6
minutes - so on the basis that the 'allowed' time is 4 minutes the length of
the contest will be extended by 20 minutes if there are 10 bands in a
section. Surely this is acceptable bearing in mind the percussionists will
have the same 'advantage' as the brass players. Organisers must note that 6
minute change overs are achieved by being organised - speak to the players
before they go on to the stage - ask them how they want the instruments to
be set up - where they should be on the stage. Maybe ask for a stage map?

I'd be please to discuss the mechanics of organising a percussion 'team' for
contests if anyone wishes to get in touch at the address below.

Richard.Dyson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

www.whitburnband.freeserve.co.uk