Contest Rules

We (Brackley) played in the 2nd Section Midlands area contest last
weekend, unfortunately our Flugel player was taken ill during the week
and could not play. Our secretary took a doctor's note to the draw and
asked tp borrow the Flugel player from the band drawn before us. After
the draw was completed the Band (or Player, i'm not sure) said that they
were unable (unwilling?) to help and so we played without a Flugel.

I don't think that this affected our performance but does anyone know
what the position is when asking for a player - does the player have to
play if asked or is it only a request and are they are free to refuse if
they wish?

Several of our players have helped out in similar circumstances in the
past and were dissappointed with the reaction of the band/player asked
to help us. I'm not sure how we would react if a request was made to us
in the future - personally I would play if asked and I hope most of us
would.

Incidently we came 12th which was a bit of a dissappointment after 4th
last year.

Steve Anker
Bass Trombone
(Brackley & District Band)