percussion at contests (in Holland)/ a little complaint

Hello list,

A couple of weeks ago a put several e-mails about the percussion rules during
contests in Holland. This year for the first time we weren't allowed to play on our
own percussion.
As I saw there was a discussion about the use of provided percussion and the
rules that are made for that (Midland contests) I thought I write you again.

We had a lot of protests before the Dutch National Championsships and it helped!
It was probably one time. We can now choose wether we want to use our own
percussion or the provided set. It's not for 100% sure, but I believe it will work out
in our advantage.

Funny is that the Dutch brassband organisation compares us constantly with
England. The organsiation says that in England no one's protesting against the
providing of percussion. Well it seems that's not true?? Is it?

The last time I hear more often complaints about the (compulsary) use of
provided percussion. Maybe it's time in England to protest with all bands.
Main issue is that people can choose to play on own percussion or on (some)
percussion provided by the organisation.

What is your opinion??

Were talking about National (or even European) championsships, so
percussionist should have the opportunity to play at their best, shouldn't they?
And not, as what happened in Midland, that some bands may use their own
(kit)bassdrum and others not.

Rinze Anne van der Sluis
percussionist of national champion in the Netherlands,
brassband de Bazuin, Oenkerk

(hope my English isn't too bad...)