Hello and Adjucators

Hello,

Having 'listened in' for a little while I thought it time to introduce
myself and put forward my two penn'orth.

We are Ray Rochester (Eb Bass) and Francesca Brindley (Percussion) with
the York Railway Institute Band.

Ray's thoughts:-

With regard to the selection of Adjudicators, having served for several
years (a few years ago) on the Northern Area Committee I can tell you
that the method of selection in that area was:-  Bill Relton issued a
list of 'approved adjudicators' via the National Contesting Committee
(mainly his mates judging by the names on that list!) and after
discussion in the area committee the two names would be selected.  The
actual number of names available for selection was in fact very limited
and therefore the same old names - good, bad or indifferent - came up
time and time again.  It would seem that several on Mr Relton's list had
made it known that they were only available for the 'Plum jobs' - the
Albert Hall and the like - and were therefore not available to us.  It
is high time that some new blood was introduced - there are many likely
candidates out there.

I am of the opinion that it should not be an essential qualification to
be a noted conductor or composer/arranger to be a competent adjudicator.
 There are many musicians who with a little initial guidance could do
the job admirably.  I have noticed that when given the opportunity they
have been both keen and positive in the way in which they approach the
job.  At my previous Band we ran a solo competition and always brought
in an adjudicator from outside.  Two names which immediately spring to
mind are Brian Tate and Les Palmer (insane but not a moron) from the
Ever Ready Band.  They each came along and gave a very competent
adjudication; their approach was professional, unbiased and above all
positive.  People of this calibre should be given a chance and
encouraged to take up adjudicating.  If you think that you are capable
of doing this essential task then put yourself forward.  With support we
can change the system, but it is no good beefing about the situation if
we cannot give a credible alternative solution.  Put the onus on the
powers that be to tell us why our ideas are not valid.  I am sure that
if enough pressure is exerted then we will get our way and the whole of
our movement will benefit from new young blood.