New member (again!)

Coming out of the closet seems to be all the rage and another lurker now
bites the dust!  I have sent a couple of postings over recent months but
have resisted getting involved in the serious debate but now wish to change
this.

I am a euphonium player and Bandmaster of Clacton SA band.  Whilst my
"Sunday activities" don't allow me the opportunities to get around to
Regionals as I would like, I try to get to concerts when Bands venture into
East Anglia and Essex and always attend the Nationals at RAH.

I most recently enjoyed a Black Dyke concert at Brentwood when the tam-tam
fell off it's stand in the final bars if Respighi's "Pines of Rome",  which
was then immediately followed by one of the percussionists losing his grip
on the bass drum stick which flew across the band, due to the heat of the
stage and the ferocity of the pounding beat he was producing for the climax
of the music which is (or wasn't on this occasion) a tam-tam crash on the
last note! Also, the air-conditioning on stage was such that both the cornet
and euphonium soloists saw their music float way whilst they were playing so
when the baritone duetists took the stage, they amused the audience by
attaching loads of pegs all round their stands before they started playing.

The concert was also excellent for all the right reasons and it was a
musical feast but it does make the incident in my band when the stand-alone
cymbal fell over to create a sort of domino affect involving a bass drum and
two music stands, pale into insignificance.

This is just a light-hearted posting in order to introduce myself and I look
forward to adding value to the Forum in the future with my contributions.

Keith Rowland