Re: Telephone Scam/off list message -Reply

I'm sure you'll be pleased to know that this problem, while
not exactly a hoax, is not applicable to private subscribers,
certainly not in the UK, and probably not elsewhere either.
I've taken advice about it in the past, and been assured by
competent people that mobiles are not affected either.

I attach a copy of a statement by AT&T on this matter:
anyone interested can find it on the Web at:

http://www.att.com/features/0398/90pound.html	  .

Martin Taylor

>>> Rod <rodg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Mar 13, 1999  1:02 pm

Hi All,
This probably only applies to UK Listers, but perhaps only
the number
changes elsewhere!

If you are contacted by someone alleging they are a
telephone engineer doing
a line test and asking you to dial 90# (nine zero hash)
DON'T. This sequence
will apparently enable a third party to run up charges on
YOUR account. It
seems that it applies to both land line and mobile phones.

RodG