BBC Young Musician

We can be mildly amused by European Rules dictating the size and shape of
cucumbers and bananas but when European Rules ban euphonium players from
entering the BBC Young Musician 2000 competition things get serious!

I am pleased to hear that Bob Childs and Stephen Mead have taken up the
cause.  The BBC are probably only complying with Eurovision Young Musician
regulations but perhaps mailing list subscribers will consider lobbying the
Beeb.  I have not fully explored their website
http://www.bbc.co.uk/youngmusicians/  but I think that may be a way of
making your views known.

The BBC organises the Proms, the 'Last Night' of which is transmitted
throughout Europe.  Does that usually feature Fantasia on British Sea Songs,
complete with euphonium solo?

Incidentally, if there are any harmonica or button accordian players out
there, you will be pleased to know that you are not banned!

John Beresford