Re: Brass Band Scores

Adrian and Marc wrote:
>> Also, when there is no flugel part does it simply play the entire rep.
>> part or only where it says flugel?

>Only where marked "flugel" or "a2" or "both"

Not strictly true.  There is plenty of "yellow music" around (and more
modern stuff carelessly copied) where if the flugel didn't play some of the
bits not specifically marked "both" they would be the only player in the
entire band sitting twiddling their thumbs, while the rest were blowing
their little hearts out.  I don't believe the arranger really wanted that
(more likely they didn't want to acknowledge the existence of a flugel at
all ;-))

Best approach is to write a separate flugel part with lots of nice solo bits
in.  Next best (but very poor) approach if the arranger is lazy is to write
rep/flugel combined and to clearly mark a2/rep/flug as required.  However,
the most important point of all is that the "E" comes before the "L".

Jud (SF)