Re: First Time Out

Well well - what a surprise - and what a pleasure this mailing list is.  Yes -
I am that very Colin Randle from Bedworth.  All I can say Evan is that many
years ago when I was Solo Horn with City Of Coventry band we did and engagement
in Luton or maybe Dunstable, and can remember having a conversation with you.
Your period with Coventry band must have been just before mine, 1965ish, as I
cannot recall being there at the same time as you, but it is nice to make
contact after all these years, and to see that you are still playing, with the
rest of your family by the looks of it.  I take it from your e-mail that Alison
is your wife and that Hannah and Morgan are your children.  Banding is truly a
family occasion in your household - just the way it ought to be.  You mention
Albert Coupe, a well known banding conductor, is he still alive?  Also Lyn
Morgan - is this the same Lyn Morgan that was in the RAF at a fairly high rank.
If it is, then he was with Coventry Band for a short while as conductor and was
very well thought of.  During this period a vacancy arose for a principle
trombone in the RAF Staff Band and I asked him about it and he said and I
quote, "...if you want it...it's yours".  All true I assure you.  I often
wonder what would have happened to the course of my life if I'd joined up at
that  time.  Ah well - ships that pass in the night and all that.

I no longer play much any more - I'm more in to arranging and conducting which
I really enjoy. Bedwoth band folded many years ago as so many in this area,
but the name of Bedworth is still carried proudly in the area by another local
band called Bedworth Brass and I had the pleasure of conducting them for two
years.  They are now conducted by a great bloke called Mike West and in 1998
won the midland area second section!

Well that's all for now, make contact again.

Colin.