Re: Natural Sharps

On Sat, 20 Mar 1999, Richard Barrett wrote:

> Hi
>
> I introduced myself a couple of weeks ago and am now asking for some help in
> my first post since then.
>
> In The King of Kings (Salvation Army Brass Band Journal) there are some
> instances in the first 'bone part where a natural and a sharp precede a note
> eg two bars after I - a G crotchet is preceded by a natural sign then a
> sharp - I'm sure somebody will know what thats all about.  I can handle
> double flats and double sharps but not this, help!  Is the natural to cancel
> the G flat in the Key Sig and then raise the G by half a tone?

Sounds right. We played the Dvorak symphony no. 5 in our uni orchestra
this term, and there were a few similar instances in the trombone parts.
It's a bit redundant really-just emphasising that the note really is that
far from the key signature!

Dave Taylor
University of Warwick band
Rolls-Royce (Coventry) band