Re: Newspaper article

Carol wrote:

>There was an interesting article in a newspaper here in Melbourne
>(Australia) last week.  I'd actually forgotten I'd taken the article out,
>and meant to post it on the list.  Wonder if anyone would like to comment
as
>to the authenticity?  This is it - as it appeared in "The Sun" last week
>some time.
>

>"A British brass band has turned down an invitation to star at this year's
>Oscars awards ceremony because of a prior engagement.  The band is due to
>play at an English seaside resort.
>
>The Black Dyke Mills Band from Yorkshire, would have had an audience of an
>estimated one billion television viewers at the Oscars, plus a star-studded
>Hollywood audience.
>
>The band, which features on a track in the comedy film, 'Babe: Pig in the
>City', can expect an audience of fewer than 2000 at its alternative venue -
>Bournemouth, on the southern English coast."
>

>Any comments???
>
>Carol

Hi Carol,
This is what I heard-
They did actually ask Dyke to play at the Oscars but they gave them really
late notice. The job in Bournemouth was a charity do that raises a lot of
money and had been booked for ages. The band decided that they couldn't go
back on their word at such short notice and so they would do the Bournemouth
concert.

If this is what happened, I think it's brilliant! I bet the Americans can't
believe anyone would turn down the opportunity to appear, and that there are
some things more important than the great movie god.

It would be interesting to know how they would actually have billed 'Black
Dyke' so as not to offend P.C Americans!

I'm sure someone from Dyke will let us know all the details.

Lise