BBC Young Musician of the Year

Anyone who also subscribes to the tuba-euph mailing list as well as this one
will know that a few days ago, Stephen Mead alerted us to the fact that the
euphonium had been struck off the list of eligible instruments for inclusion
in the BBC Young Musician Of The Year and encouraged us to protest to the
appropriate authority.  (I'm a bit surprised he didn't post the message to
this mailing list as well).   Well, I did as he suggested, and got this
reply back, which you might be interested to read.

March 1999

BBC Young Musicians 2000 - Euphonium

Thank you for your letter about BBC Young Musicians 2000 and the Euphonium.
Im very sorry that Euphonium and other instruments have been excluded from
BBC Young Musicians 2000.  When Adrian Spillett became the BBC Young
Musician 1998, Eurovision allowed him to go forward to the Eurovision Final
even though he was over the age limit they had set.  Unfortunately, the
knock on effect of this breaking of the Eurovision regulations was that we
agreed to comply with them in future.  The first step was unifying the types
of instruments allowed in both competitions.  This resulted in several
instruments, including the Euphonium, not being eligible for the 2000
competition.

Sadly, we can not change the rules for 2000, but the BBC will certainly be
taking up the case of the Euphonium and the other instruments with the
Eurovision Young Musician Committee in the hope that we can get them
re-instated for the 2002 competitions - and introduced to the other
countries taking part.

We all regret the unhappiness this has caused in the brass world.  Despite
this, we hope that you will enjoy the programmes when they are transmitted
in May 2000, and that you might even keep your fingers crossed that a brass
player will represent the UK in Bergen in June 2000.

Yours sincerely

Clare-Louise Stuart

Clare-Louise Stuart
Acting Administrator,  BBC Young Musicians

Room No EG30, East Tower, BBC Television Centre, Wood Lane, London, W12 7RJ

So, it's nice to know that the BBC will be taking up the cudgels to put the
euphonium back where it belongs, alongside, er, the harmonica and button
accordion, both of which are,  apparently, still considered to be acceptable
instruments!

Alec