Re: Grace Notes.

In message <36F7D9BF.64FA3EF7@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Marc Crompton writes:

>   There also a distinction often made between grace
> notes with a slash through them as opposed to those with no slash.  I have
> been told that a grace note with a slash os played before the beat and without
> is on the beat.

Correct.

That with a slash is called a acciaccatura. It is played as
fast as possible ("crushed in") and is played before the beat of the main note.
This is the typcial brass band grace note.

That without a slash is called an appoggiatura. It takes half the time of
the note following (two thirds from a dotted note) and is on the beat of
the main note. The exact propotion of the value of the main note that is
stolen must very with the period of the composition and the context. It
is often used as the resolution of a dischord, or strong passing note.

Where two or more grace notes appear they will be acciaccaturas even though
they don't have slashes.

In brass band writing one seldom sees true appoggiaturas. Also in brass band
writing because of the lack of formal musical training of many composers
and arrangers one often incorrectly sees acciaccaturas written as
appoggiaturas.

-Nigel

--
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Composer, Conductor, Typesetter.
Owner of the brass band group of the Internet. ICQ#20252325