Re: Channel 4 Monday night 9pm

In message <OrQz7EAAqB+2EwDp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> Maurice Wright writes:

> It just shows the blinkered view that TV and the media in general have
> of the Brass Band movement.

True. But sitting in a corner with our finger up our b*ms moaning about it
isn't going to help. Someone, not me as it needs a skilled person, should write
to the Grauniad to point out the errors. Make sure it's witty, a gripe letter
will never get published.

We should take a lesson in how *not* to do it from the radio amateur hobby.
They have a similar problem with inaccuracy in the press that we do. The press
often call CBers "radio hams". A radio ham is an Americanism for a radio
amateur (and that stupid Tony Hancock programme). CBers and radio amateurs are
not the same thing. They are as different as a brass band are to the Sheffield
lot. What the RSGB (Radio Society of Great Britain) do wrong is to then write
a letter to the paper pointing out the errors of their ways. Never gets
published. Why? Because they come over as a bunch of "anoraks", too pompous to
have a life, too boring to have a letter published.

So who ever writes must not fall in to the same trap that the RSGB do.

Remember what I said about PR a month ago. It takes time, and persistance.

> Maurice Wright
> Eb Bass @ asst. MD Haslemere Town.

-Nigel

--
Nigel Horne. Arranger, Composer, Conductor, Typesetter.
Owner of the brass band group of the Internet. ICQ#20252325