Re: Grace Notes. One liner but not comedy.

Steve Larwood wrote:

> Thats interesting.  Care to elaborate Monkey?

OK - this is as per AB Associated Board Rudiments of Theory.....

Acciaccatura

(Italian word meaning 'crushed in'.)

It is, theoretically timeless and is squeezed in as quickly as possible before
the principal not is heard. Some pianists even play the two notes simultameously,
immediately releasing the acciaccatura and retaining the principal note.

Appoggiatura

(Italian - 'to lean'.)

is not a timeless 'crushed in' note like the acciaccatura; it is as important
melodically as the note on which it 'leans,' and receives half the value of the
principal note.

However, when placed before a dotted note it receives two thirds of the vakue of
that note.

[end quote]

>From what I can recall, I agree with Robert Simpson and his comments about the
Classical Period.