Re: Grace Notes.

On Tue, 23 Mar 1999, Richard Barrett wrote:

> [...]

It all depends on interpretation, and the style of the period from which
the music comes-grace notes are not always notes to be squeezed in in the
shortest possible time(though I can't think of an example in band
literature to especially contradict this). For example, in works from the
late baroque and classical periods, the appoggiatura(no dash through the
stem) was often used to indicate a grace note that took one half(or even
two thirds) of the time value of the next note. This ornament should be
played exactly on the beat. At first glance it seems a bit pointless(why
not write two quavers instead of appoggiatura+crotchet?), but it's to do
with clearly marking contrapuntal devices-simply, the 2nd note is
harmonically more important than the 1st.

Anyway, what we're talking about is the acciaccatura, which is more of a
'skip' onto a note, or between notes. This should be played, basically,
however it feels right(though your M.D. may disagree:) )-often before the
note, but actually sometimes more graceful on the beat. There's an example
in Main Street(which we played for the areas), where Euphs and Basses have
a run of three grace notes, quite clearly on the beat, running into moving
quavers and crotchets(it's quite fast). So, there's no hard and fast rule
at all-just play them as they sound good.

There-that's messed it up good and proper:)

Dave Taylor
Warwick University brass band
Rolls-Royce( Coventry) band