Re: Grace Notes.

The subject of grace notes has been covered in detail in several works
(insert favourite tome here) and after practice discussions (insert
favourite beer here). It appears to be completely dependent upon the
context of the work. Certainly in baroque music, the tradition is to place
on the beat AND to assign the note half the value of the following note
(ie. grace note to a minum would be of crotchet length). In much 20th c.
contemporary sounding music, the grace note is also placed on the beat, but
older 19th c. style music is more likely to have it leading in to the note
( a good example that comes to mind here is the march "Appreciation").
One other point arose in Sparke's "Fantasy for Euphonium". In the
recitative section, there is a grace note to a couple of semi-quavers, the
first one accented. On the recording that Bob Childs (hi Bob) did, the
grace note was accented (BEE, yah dah). I was wondering whether you should
in fact accent the main note (bee, YAH dah). Trivial, but that's what these
discussions are all about ;-)

appropriate.

yours, on the fence...
Rolf Miezitis