Re: Leyland Band (a vicious rumour?)

I dont suppose this e-mail will prevent this rumour from doing 'the rounds'
but here goes anyway:

Last night at Leyland band rehearsal, Alan Littlemore (our band manager and
contest secretary) announced to the band that he had received a call from
Frank Hodges (a senior NWBBA and registry official).

Frank told Alan that he had received an enquiry from a source at Besses o'
th' Barn band (to remain unnamed) to the effect of: For the purposes of the
NW area contest (14/3/99):

(i)	did Leyland band hold a valid registration card for player X (to remain
unnamed)?, and
(ii)	did Freckleton band also hold a valid registration card for player X?

Frank informed Alan and presumably the source at Besses o' th Barn band
that, for the purposes of the NW area contest (14/3/99):

(i)	Leyland band did indeed hold a valid registration card for player X,
and
(ii)	Freckleton band did not hold a valid registration card for player X.

Two questions:

(i)	Who would want to compete in the national finals having engineered the
disqualification of another band on a technicality?
(ii)	How many pinches of salt do you take with any piece of information
gathered from the brass band grapevine?

Regards,

Paul Warder
Bass Trombone, Leyland Band