Re: Can I introduce myself and try again?

High there Mary Ellen - my name is Colin Randle I'm a new member too -
and I'm sorry to have missed your first posting - I hope you are now
un-crushed enough to read this!  I'm a trombone player now but I did
start my career on the Tenor Horn, and in response to your aside
regarding ".....tuning the darn thing", can I offer you - and any other
interested instrumentalists - some advice that was given to me by a man
named Malcolm Teasdale, (a fine euphonium player),  who used to give me
lessons when I was a youngster. He actually gave me a tutor by Boosey &
Co's, which is so old it looks as if it was printed about 1912,
obviously before the Hawkes name joined the company.  (Does any list
member know when Boosey was joined by Hawkes)?

This tutor, and I have it beside me as I write, was written specifically
for the Tenor Horn by a rather distinguished looking military gentleman
named Lieut. H. E. Adkins, Mus. Bac. L.R.A.M. A.R.C.M. of Kneller Hall,
which is surprising really as I didn't think military band used Tenor
Horns, and contains the best method of tuning a Tenor Horn I have ever
read, and, if you substitute a modern electronic digital tuning meter
for the tuning fork,  I doubt whether there has been a better method yet
invented. >From this tutor I venture to quote:

		     Method Of Tuning The Tenor Horn

     First tune the open C natural (third space) with the tuning
     fork,  then tune the E natural (top space) with third valve,
     adjusting the third valve slide if necessary, withdrawing if
     sharp and pushing in if flat - the 3rd. valve should now be in
     tune.  Next tune open C with 2nd. and 3rd. valves adjusting
     the 2nd. valve slide as before, if necessary.  The note G
     (second line) should be tuned open and then with 1st. and 3nd.
     valves adjusting the first valve slide if necessary.

By the way, pass on my regards to your MD. Dr. Keith Wilkinson, he is
well known by reputation in the midlands.  He hails from the Beeston
area of Nottingham and has conducted both Gus, formerly Rigid
Containers, and William Davis Construction band.  He conducted my old
band City of Coventry, once, and I deputized for William Davis's
trombone player at the British Open with Keith conducting at the Free
Trades Hall in Manchester the year the bands had to play two test
pieces.  I can't remember the first piece, but we had to play the last
part of Epic Symphony - five movements in all!  (Does any list member
remember what year this was, it was probably my last appearance at The
Open).

I hope this has been of some use.

Colin Randle.