Re: Can I introduce myself and try again?

Hi Mary Ellen,

>On Wed, 24 Mar 1999, mlathrop wrote:
>
>> My name is Mary Ellen, and I am pretty much new to the list.  Everyone
>> ignored my first post.  I was crushed!

I don't recall seeing your first post either.  Sometimes things go into the
Internet bit bucket, as much as we like to think it's a perfect thing.

>> Any there any other bands in the US who are willing to help us with a little
>> advice?  What other US bands are represented on this list?  Would you be
>> willing to put me in touch with others in your organization who might be
>> willing to advise us?

I'm with the Triangle Brass Band of North Carolina (Raleigh/Durham area)
and I read the list regularly and post concert listings for our performances.
I'm not very interested in all of the competition chit-chat, as we don't
usually go to NABBA and the British/Australian competitions are much
too far away to think about going to.

As for business advice, I'd be a pretty good source, having served as
TBB's business manager for about the past five years.  Having the
501(c)(3) status is a good thing, if you have a contributor base -- they'll
give you more money more freely, if they can write it off on their
taxes.  It also makes you eligible for things like "employers matching
money for their employees' time" if any of your members work for
companies who have these programs (about 10% of our band fits this
description).  However, if you think you'll ever become the kind of
group where the players expect to split the money from play-for-pay
jobs, then non-profit status is not for you.

Feel free to email me privately if you want more information about
how we run our band, as I don't want to clog up the list with a lot
of stuff you may not be interested in reading anyway.

Welcome to the list!

Connie Varner
Triangle Brass Band