H E Adkins

In a message dated 28/03/99 16:50:46 GMT Daylight Time, colin.randle@xxxxxxxxx
writes:

<< This tutor, and I have it beside me as I write, was written specifically
 for the Tenor Horn by a rather distinguished looking military gentleman
 named Lieut. H. E. Adkins, Mus. Bac. L.R.A.M. A.R.C.M. of Kneller Hall,
 which is surprising really as I didn't think military band used Tenor
 Horns >>

Could I add a couple of points that may be of interest:-

As far as I am aware Eb Tenor horns are still used in the British Army by the
mounted bands of the Household Cavalry. This is because it is difficult to
play a Frech horn on horseback. Army musicians used to refer to Tenor horns as
'dog horns' as the horns can be made to 'bark'.

H E Adkins was Director of Music at the Royal Military Schol of Music, Kneller
Hall from1921 to 1943 and retired as a colonel. Apart from music tutors he
produced a book 'Treatise on the Military Band' which has many interesting
sections such as; instrumentation, arranging, conducting, training and tuning.
Although for use by military (concert) bands there are many aspects, although
now somewhat dated, that are useful and educative for brass band musicians. It
was first published in 1931 by Boosey and Hawkes and my copy is a reprint
(with revisions) published in 1958. I don't know if it is still in print.

Cheers

Ted Howard