Re: H E Adkins

> As far as I am aware Eb Tenor horns are still used in the British Army by the
> mounted bands of the Household Cavalry. This is because it is difficult to
> play a Frech horn on horseback. Army musicians used to refer to Tenor horns as
> 'dog horns' as the horns can be made to 'bark'.
>
> Dear Ted,

Thank you so much for your highly interesting, informed and fascinating
information on H.E. Adkins and the use of Tenor Horns in the British Army.  As I
said in my original posting, I took a guess at its age and wasn't far out really.
This tutor is something that I cherish as I learned a great deal from it as a
learner at school many years ago.

Its methods with regard to practice, fingering not to mention tuning, although
obviously now dated, proved to be a great help, especially as they were delivered
in a most un-tedious manner!

You obviously have some army experience as a musician.  Tell us more - please.

Colin Randle.

I wish I'd have known that Tenor Horns were referred to as "Dog Horns" whilst I
was an active conductor!!!