Re: The Three Spires, (C.C.B.Old Boy's).

BigChap27@xxxxxxx wrote:

> In a message dated 31/03/99 08:18:04 GMT Daylight Time, colin.randle@xxxxxxxxx
> writes:
>
> << I haven't heard of Tim for many years >>
>
> Do you mean Tim Neal who used to play for the City andnow plays percussion for
> Enderby?
>
> Martyn Pattinson
> Bedworth Brass

Howdy there Big Chap,

Yep - that's the geezer.  He was a good percussionist - but if memory serves me
correct - he suffered from a bad back.  I remember getting back after a long coach
journey from a band job in the early hours of the morning and we were all helping
to get the percussion gear off the bus, I can hear it now - "...come on lads -
give a hand with the percussion stuff".  Most of it was stowed away but the most
abiding memory was when Tim who because of his bad back could only carry heavy
weight if he held it directly above his head.  So there he is with the large bass
drum held precariously above his napper like an olympic weight lifter who has just
reached his wobbling limit when his back went.  In an instant he realized that the
only way to get the weight off his back without causing further damage was to fall
forward and throw the bass drum away as he fell.  What a sight.  With arms held
aloft grasping the drum he fell forward - let out a scream of agony and hit the
floor with a mighty thwack, and in the process threw the drum about fifty yards up
the path.  Unaware of all this hilarity unfolding outside, Byron Tucker, who was
our band sergeant and hadn't seen the acrobatics, came out of the band room door
just as the drum was rolling towards him  and with all the authority he could
muster yelled "....come on lads - stop f.....g about, do you know what time it is
- who's banging that drum - think of the neighbours - we all want to get home but
there's no need to throw the tackle about - don't you know how much it costs?".
And with a disgusted look on his chops, picked the drum up - turned around and
took it into the bandroom.

What is it about the misfortune of others that brings about great mirth from the
onlookers?  We all stood around laughing our b......s off and Tim was prostate on
the deck sceaming "....come on you b......s - help me up".

He had the last laugh though - especially on me.  After that he insisted on
starting a rota for percussion duty.  Most of the lads had a cymbal or a drum or
stand to carry in.  Me - I got the stand box that weighed about 14 tons!

Honestly - you couldn't make 'em up like this could you.

By the way Martyn - how did Bedrock do at Tameside - I've been waiting for someone
to post the results but so far nothing.

See ya soon,

Colin.

(PS.  To avoid any uncertainty for our global list members - if you want to fill
in the blanks - in order they are :- fumbling - belly's - bounders.  I wouldn't
want to cause any offense you understand by any misconstruance of my midlands
vernacular).